This weeks Q+A is with Registered Dietitian and Nutritionist, Ronit! She also happens to be the co-founder of ROYO Bread Co. along with her husband, Yoel. Ronit has been a clinical dietitian for 20+ years and created ROYO Bread Co. in 2019 because there was a serious need in the market for delicious, quality, low carb, vegan baked goods!
We're hearing so much about resistant wheat starch? What is it? Is it good for us?
What is the importance of fiber and what foods contain it?
- Resistant wheat starch, as its name states, is resistant to digestion, and essentially functions as soluble fiber in the human body. In other words, your body recognizes resistant wheat starch to be a prebiotic fiber, and it goes through your stomach and small intestine undigested. Once it reaches the colon, it feeds the gut friendly bacteria in your intestine (which is extremely beneficial for gut health!). Research has linked resistant wheat starch to be beneficial for digestion and supporting a healthy weight, among other things.
Fiber is essential. It keeps the digestive system clean and healthy. Fiber is also known as “roughage,” passes through the body and flushes away byproducts. Fiber is a nutrient (technically a carbohydrate) that adds bulk to your food and can’t be broken down much by your digestive system (unlike other carbs, which break down into sugars), so it passes right through you. Why is that important? Well, besides the fact that it won’t turn into extra pounds on your body, it also aids in the feeling of fullness, staying regular, and helps regulate blood sugar levels (preventing the horrible spikes and crashes in between meals)! Below I’ve written a list of my favorite high fiber foods (other than ROYO).
What are the health benefits of fiber?
- Improved GI function
- Helps control healthy blood sugar levels
- Supports Healthy Weight
- Lowers Cholesterol levels
- Increased feeling of fullness (Fiber absorbs water and expands in stomach)
What are your favorite high fiber foods (other than ROYO)?
- Beans, peas, legumes
- Whole grain bread, oats, bran cereal
- Brown rice
- Nuts and seeds
- Fruits! Berries are my favorite
- Vegetables! Broccoli, carrots
What are the health benefits of eating ROYO?
- Increased fiber intake - the 30 Calorie Artisan Bread has a whopping 11g of fiber!
- Stay full for longer, less temptation to snack between meals!
- Increased protein - plant based protein from flaxseed and wheat protein
What are the new "trends" you are seeing in health and wellness?
- Intermittent fasting
- Mindful eating
- Functional foods
Who is ROYO bread good for?
ROYO products are great for people who are:
- Low Carb
- Low Calorie (Weight Watchers followers)
- Low glycemic index
- Regular people looking for a healthier bread alternative!